The Cater Museum turns 60!

In February 1958, Mrs Alice Cater purchased 74 High Street in memory of her husband William to provide Billericay with a museum.  Early in the following year work started on 74 High Street to convert the building from a house into the new Cater Museum along with two business premises, the rent from which would Read More…

Royal Fire Insurance Mark

Originally, not all houses were covered by fire insurance. To distinguish which properties had paid for fire insurance, a metal plaque was attached and displayed on the front of the building so that fire services knew which houses were insured by them that they should save. Fire Marks and fire insurance as a concept emerged Read More…

Lion-headed Pomander

These objects were designed to be worn by ladies in particular in the Victorian, Edwardian and Elizabethan eras as a neck pendant but could also be found on chains worn on a belt or girdle. This particular pomander is designed with a lion’s head on the front and contains material on the inside which would Read More…