The Cater Museum turns 60!

In February 1958, Mrs Alice Cater purchased 74 High Street in memory of her husband William to provide Billericay with a museum.  Early in the following year work started on 74 High Street to convert the building from a house into the new Cater Museum along with two business premises, the rent from which would Read More…

Restoration project: Two-headed lamb update #3

Our lamb has finally come out of the freezer in Norwich’s Castle Museum – a process designed to ensure that unwanted guests at all stages of their lifecycle are killed off.  A preliminary investigation (from outside of the lamb’s case) is that there was some evidence of Anthrenus (carpet beetle) but little obvious damage. Overall Read More…

Restoration Project: The two-headed lamb update #2

Billericay’s famous two-headed lamb has arrived safely at Norwich Castle Museum having been transported very carefully by Tanya Burrage who is the Cater Museum’s Project Manager for the lamb’s restoration. It is now in the hands of two wonderful gentlemen: Senior Natural History Curator David Waterhouse and retired Senior Natural History Curator Tony Irwin.  Their Read More…

Restoration Project: The two-headed lamb

Many in Billericay have grown up having seen the lamb whilst at school and it’s one of our most popular exhibits. Over 120 years old, the poor thing is getting a little tired and dishevelled. But we have some very good news as it will shortly be leaving the museum traveling to distant lands in Read More…

Peace Day – July 19th, 1919

This article was originally written for the Around Town Magazine, June 2019. Do you want to know the background to our Peace Day Celebration event which we are holding on July 6th 2019 ? Then read on ….. Full details of the events happening around the High Street on the 6th July can be found Read More…

Posted in WW1